The Losing Game

The Losing Game - Lane Swift This book was provided by Signal Boost Promotions and read on behalf of Thorns & Ink.

This is one of those books that have requires a bit of thought as to what and how I want to review it. The characters where amazing. I really like the development. I also like that the characters were older. Early 30s for Lucas and early 40s for Dante if I were to guess. Dante was very fascinating as a leading man; he fits the bill perfectly as described. Tall, dark, and handsome. Tones of mysteriousness and secretiveness create an air about him that the author captured well. Lucas in his grief was perfect. He was angry, sad, and lonely. Most of the secondary characters were developed and interesting. This is something that doesn’t always happen. A lot times I see secondary characters written in to advance the plot and nothing more. Ms. Swift is quite brilliant here; with one exception being Avery. She came off as a clichéd plot device.

The use of the sub rosa was done quite well. Also the little bits of day to day life. Those little details are what really made the book. There is a scene (I won’t go into too much detail) that really stuck with me. It was a simple scene but it spoke volumes about relationships and the joys of being good at your job. Dante owns and upscale adult store. This is where the scene takes place. It was not a long scene, but it was a small window into Dante’s personality. He helps an older gentleman pick out something to assist in his lovemaking to a younger lover.

Lucas. The need for closure is always interesting. Sometimes we don’t get it, and it is hard to move on. He needed closure in the miscarriage of justice he suffered. Perhaps the author meant no critique of the justice system as it stands. Money and connections can change a man’s fate. The philosophical debate on what is justice rages on.

Letting go and moving on where the constant themes in this book. The suspense was not very suspenseful. It was lacking the “edge of my seat” quality that I like in suspense. There were a few things that seemed shoehorned in to create a certain level of intimacy. Those things could have been handled differently.