What It Looks Like

What It Looks Like - Matthew J. Metzger This book was provided by Signal Boost Promotions and read on behalf of Thorns & Ink.

This was an interesting read for me. Kept me thinking long after the last words. Rarely do I feel the need to recommend a book for any reason. With this book, that is not the case. This is a book I would give to a teenager, young adult, even a well-heeled adult who is going through transition. This struck me. While I have always felt that art imitates life, this story is one where I could feel it.

While the plot was more like a made for television movie from the early 2000’s it resonated. It was emotionally heavy. I was exhausted from the depth in which it was presented. That isn’t a bad thing. I connected with Eli. Though I don’t know what it is like to walk that path; I know what it is like to walk a difficult path. The pain was there. While Eli’s parents where accepting of everything about him, they were completely unaccepting of Eli’s boyfriend Rob. He was the quintessential bad boy. Big, inked, and crass. There is a little Discipline and Submission within their relationship and it isn’t just in the bedroom. Of course there are scenes that to a seasoned master/mistress that would be distressing; they lend themselves to youth and inexperience.

There were a few moments that I laughed out loud. It takes a lot to have me crying in a book, this was close. I was moved. People often ask, “What book have you read that would make a good TV show or movie?”. This book deserves a stage play. Not because I don’t think it is worthy of the small or large screen, but because I think the writing conveys that this is where if should be.

The more I think about this story, the more I get lost. The twist in this story was satisfying. As I sat down to write my thoughts on this one, I keep coming back to the end. It was beautiful. The way a happy ending should be. No big parties or some god awful family affair. Just lovers making their way into the known world to learn anew about each other.

Learning and relearning. Acceptance and love.