Ice (Salisbury Book 2)

Ice (Salisbury Book 2) - Chris Quinton, R.J. Scott This book was provided by Signal Boost Promotions and was read on behalf of Thorns & Ink.

Promising Premise. The voicing was off for me. For all art (including writing) has a rhythm. This was inconsistent. The book takes place in Salisbury, England yet there was sparse use of UK English. As a history buff, this meets that need well. The use of World War II imagery and memories along with those of East Germany were impressive. This was a good backdrop. This was a slow burn in every sense of the word.

Jon and Greg are the leading men. I really like Jon. His inner monologue in places was giggle worthy. A big shy bloke. He was sweet and easy going. He came of a little cynical, but otherwise well-adjusted. I love that he works in historic wood restorations. Woodworking is a skill that seems to be fading away. Jon’s wary sweetness is appreciated. Reading a long I wanted him to find solace, love, and happiness.
Reality peeps in when it comes to Greg. He was sleazy. The fact that he was a professional thief didn’t bother me. Just his overall personality. I found myself disliking him more and more the further I got into the book. There is a selfishness about him that makes me angry. This is the first character in a while that has really pissed me off something fierce. I wanted Greg to leave Jon alone. I can’t be any plainer than that.

Now, I know I said I didn’t like Greg. I still don’t. Redemption and absolution are funny. Greg is given the chance to atone. Other than money, Greg has found a reason for truly living and for dying. The impasse is crystal clear. Jon was the knight in shining armor. There are few things that are forever; diamonds and love qualify. Even these can be lost through carelessness.