Whatever it Takes

Whatever it Takes - D.J. Heart This book was provided by the author and read in behalf of Thorns & Ink.

DJ Heart is one of my favorite “Calgon take me away” authors. He is always reliable when it comes to being a solid writer. This is what makes his new story so interesting. While he maintains the basic Alpha/Omega dynamic, he successfully branches out into a new realm. This is not a typical werewolf story at all. Needless to say, I am quite pleased with Mr. Heart’s increasing skill and talent.

Luke is just an ordinary wolf. Not the alpha, beta, or gamma. Just a wolf in a pack. He is not special in anyway. Which I greatly appreciated. Owen is a witch. He is a little special, but not overwhelmingly so. Their dynamic together is what you except from a DJ Heart book.

Here’s the twist, Luke wants Owen to be happy, to make his own choices. He really wants that. Owen truly rules Luke’s heart. He wants him to continue his business and his life that he had before him. The next twist, and I wanted to shout for joy when I read it: Agatha (Owen’s grandmother). She was a breath of fresh air. Though she was neutral evil, I adored her. She was everything I see in my mother. A lioness protecting her cub(s). She was willing to do the dirty work so that Owen survived and was happy.

I like where Mr. Heart is going with this. I would love to read more about Agatha. She is very interesting. I like that this book demonstrates growth as a writer. It is a bit subtle, but it is there. I was pleasantly surprised with this book. I know that Mr. Heart is not everyone’s cup of tea, but this is a very nice spin on a trope that sometimes gets boring for even the most diehard fan.