Makepeace

Makepeace - Anna Butler This book was provided by Signal Boost Promotions and read on behalf of Thorns & Ink.

I adore space operas. I really and truly do. This one was perfect in all of its glory. The imagery was fantastic. The character development is wonderful. Originally I was going to focus on just Makepeace, but I find myself wanting to talk the entire series. There are so many to choose from so I will keep that part short.

I don’t hardly ever talk about covers, but through the entire series, each cover is, in a word, lovely. They remind me that some still value true art when it comes to choosing and designing covers. I had been wanting to read this series for a while and the opportunity presented itself to review the newest book. I was engrossed from the very beginning. The entire series so far has been amazing.

Ms. Butler is light on the narration favoring dialogue and for some that might be a turn off. It took a little for me to get used to, but in the end I really enjoyed the banter. The military speak harkened back to my days as an active duty Airman. That made me smile. So rarely do authors capture the mood and tone of military verbal sparring and dancing as well as Ms. Butler has. She really has done her homework. The political intrigue was equally appealing. To me, there wasn’t a clear good guy or bad guy. Mostly people trying to cover their own asses. (Militarily speaking, you can spend a lot of time covering (or trying to cover) your ass.) I felt at home within this world she creates.

The actual bad guys? The Maes. They were presented as the boogieman in Makepeace. There where drones, but I look forward to them rearing their heads. The science presented behind them is excellent.

This is not really a romance in the traditional sense. There are relationships. I am not a fan of labels, but I would guess that Bennet floats in his sexuality. I don’t like that he kowtowed to his father as far as Joss is concerned (I thought they were a terrible match). We want to please our parents, but when do we take our own happiness into consideration? I found Rosie and easy character to dismiss. It isn’t that I dislike her, she just wasn’t memorable (well written, just forgettable). Warwick was something. Felix and Flynn I found confusing, but their confusion on somethings where the cause. Bennet’s relationship with his father is interesting. An interesting cross between admiration and bucking the system. I wanted them to come together in love.

This is the kind of science fiction I grew up reading. I will continue to love it. Ms. Butler has proven that traditional romance isn’t needed to keep a book exciting.